Sunday, January 06, 2008

Thoughts about a good night of sleep

I like sleep. I really do. It's just that some times (okay, most times) it hits the bottom of the priority list. I mean, I have been grading lab reports in my sleep and wake up the next day unable to read what I have written. I have 3 alarms in my apartment in 3 different "rooms" to wake me up at 5:45. I am proud to say that I have taken naps in every building at BYU on account of being sleep deprived (tip- the orange couch on the second floor of the old section of the library in the mother's room of the women's restroom is a very good place to sleep. But if you are worried about waking up before your next class, hit the basement of the Benson building- its relatively quiet and there is a loud bell to wake you up before class) My parents complain that when I was a baby, I would open my eyes every time they started to leave my room after they thought I was asleep. In junior high, I would sleep with a flashlight so I could read under the covers without mom and dad knowing I was awake. I wrote my best papers between 10:00 at night and 6:00 in the morning. Bottom line: Long history of sleep deprivation

Last night, I came home about 10:30 and instead of going to sleep, I decided to grade the rest of AP Chem's thermo assignments (they hate thermo. they also butcher it) Then, I decided to eat a sandwich. While making the sandwich, it all of a sudden became necessary for me to look up the pharmacokinetic data for a certain prescription drug. After I satisfied that curiosity, it was time to decide what to wear to church to day. Then, I remembered that I was in the middle of making a sandwich. So, I finish with the sandwich and go back to my pharmacology research. It is now 2:00 in the morning and I feel myself giving way to sleep. I crawl into my wonderful bed, pull up my covers (I love sleeping with tons of blankets when it is cold outside!) I find my b-b and BAM! I am asleep. I wake up at 12:00 Sunday afternoon (Don't worry, church is at 1:30) It felt wonderful to get that much sleep. It was like I was a different person.

Now the question. Why on earth was all that other stuff so important to give up sleep for????? I am reminded of a line from Harry Potter- Ron comments to Harry about Herminione "She needs to sort out her priorities"!!!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Hey Gretchen! Thanks for the link to your blog! I have totally slacked during Christmas, and now I'm trying to decide if I should catch up or just start fresh. I was actually thinking about sleep the other day too. Why is that you can always think of something to do when you should be sleeping, but totally regret it in the morning? I do it all the time, and continue to do so - even when I know the consequences! Ah well. Good to hear from you!

Jessica said...

"we could get killed, or worse: expelled"

I know what you mean about sleep. You'd think after both girls are asleep and in bed for the night that I' head straight for bed, but when you're sleep deprived and its late at night you can't be trusted to use good reasoning skills and actually go to bed at a decent hour. I stayed up until 1:30am last night and am paying for it today.