Friday, August 22, 2008

Resignation

It is the end of the summer and I am resigning myself to the fact that I will not die this summer and will go on living into the next school year. In a way, the end of summer was like my "deadline". Yes, I know this is all ridiculous. I really do. I resent taking that ultimate choice off the table. I feel prisoner to my work again. A voluntary prisoner to be sure, but a prisoner nonetheless. I come home late, exhausted from work and spend an hour or two feeling acutely lonely, fall into a troubled sleep, and start again before the sun rises. Is this really what it means to be alive?

1 comment:

Ashby Family said...

Sometimes yes, but not always. So how has the first week of school been besides exhausting? I was thinking about you last Monday and wondering how your first day went. Did you get all your changes made? How are your students this year?etc. etc....