Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Insights after the release of Blackboard 6.0

Normally, I am not one to rant and whine about things, but I am wondering if anyone else has noticed a new phenomenon this semester after the release of Blackboard 6.0. It seems to me that every professor at BYU wants students to get everything off of Blackboard. There are all sorts of new homework assignments, online readings, and announcements to keep track of due to the popularity of Blackboard. I am getting to the point where I can't remember if my assignments are supposed to be submitted in class, on blackboard, or in the boxes in the Benson building! And, since Blackboard runs all day and all night, professors can have (and frequently do have) homework and quizzes due on days when we don't even have class. Also, who in their right mind can keep track of whether you are supposed to post something before 10:00 pm or before 2:00 am? As far as I am concerned, someone needs to tighten the reigns on the rampant use of Blackboard at this university. Talk about a great example of technology inhibiting learning.

No comments: